because the world needs more lime green.

4.04.2005

The Brothers K

I have a book here that I'm afraid to read.

It's The Brothers K, by David James Duncan, and it's received nothing but stellar reviews on Amazon. It's about baseball (I think) and I usually enjoy well-written baseball books.

So why am I afraid to read it? I'm afraid it will be a disappointment and won't measure up to his first novel, The River Why, which was the best book I read in 2004. Possibly the best book I read in the three year span from 2002 to 2004.

The River Why was about appreciation of nature, coming of age, and fishing. It was funny, it was sad, it made me cry. And by the end of the book I felt like a different person.

I'm afraid to read The Brothers K because I don't think it can possibly measure up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home